Hello! Could you tell us who you are and what you do at MADFINGER Games?
- Hi, my name is Ondra, and I’m responsible for the creation of marketing videos like trailers, Appstore videos, intros, etc.
What does your normal day at work look like?
- Well, I get to work, get a coffee and then sit behind the computer, pushing our characters and camera around the scene to make them look as bad-ass as possible.
You are the mastermind behind some of our games' awesome intro cutscenes and trailers. Could you take us through the process of making a video like that?
- First, we have to come up with some idea about what the video should look like and preferably prepare a rough script. Then the process of making it usually consists of preparing animations in MotionBuilder, composing and lighting the scene in Unity, then some post-production effects and motion graphics in After Effects, and eventually adding music and sounds, and editing the shots into the final video in Premiere.
How much say do you have when it comes to the content of the video? Can you basically do whatever you want, or are there some steps that you need to follow?
- Usually, it's a collective process. When someone comes up with a demand for a video, they know what message the video should carry. After that, we try to figure out how to achieve it, which then usually results in a rough script, as I mentioned earlier. Then we usually show the video in some animatic version to the people in charge for approval. So basically I can do whatever I want, as long as it serves the purpose of the video and I manage to get it approved :)
Do you have any particular video that you’re really proud of or that you enjoyed working on the most? If so, which one is it?
- I probably enjoyed working on this video the most, because it was that rare case where there were literally no marketing demands, and we were doing it just for pure fun :)
When you’re not creating amazing videos, how are you spending your free time? Any hobbies or other activities?
- Most of my free time nowadays is taken by my two kids. But I also play keyboard and saxophone in a Pink Floyd tribute band.
I have to ask about games. Do you have any favorites from your past, or do you still play even now?
- I'm not that much of a player, at least compared to the company average. But as my favorite, I would probably pick The Last of Us. And recently I'm playing Lego Harry Potter with my daughter :)
Thank you for the interview!