Hey there, could you tell us who you are and what you do at MADFINGER?
- My name is Tomas Slapota, and I’m the co-founder and co-owner of MADFINGER Games. Here at the studio, I work as an audio director, sound designer and musician.
As one of the founders of MADFINGER, you’ve probably seen a lot of changes during these past 11 years. What would you say is the biggest difference between the studio then and now?
- The first thing I see is a lot of new faces. The studio is now built mainly on young developers full of potential, who strengthened and partially replaced the “old gang”. The video game industry surrounding MADFINGER has changed as well and is indeed still changing. Mobile gaming is no longer being perceived as something on the outskirts of the game industry. It’s a respectable mainstream that’s full of all types of games - from simple 2D platformers to sophisticated and graphically detailed open-world adventures. This would be unimaginable for most of the old game developers 11 years back.
Your quote on our website states that you see MADFINGER as “The Beatles of the video game industry”. Could you elaborate on that?
- I mean it as a clever and positive change of rules, where by using your wit, talent and hard work, you can change the stagnating aspects of the video game industry and also have a lot of fun while doing so.
And do you still have fun even after more than 10 years in the industry? What do you enjoy the most?
- Hah, of course I do! I enjoy working with colleagues who are smarter and funnier than me and then collaborating on their crazy but also super smart game design ideas!
What about sound in video games? How much impact do you think it has on the gaming experience?
- Sound is a powerful tool. It can abstractly change the entire mood of the gaming experience. Reinforce it, or put it in contrast to what’s happening on the screen.
And video games overall? Do you still play games, and if so, what are your favourite ones right now?
- Yeah, I still play games. And not just mobile ones! Recently it’s mostly multiplayer FPS like Valorant and Apex Legends for PC, and Badlanders and Lost Light on mobile. I also enjoy puzzle games like Deus Ex GO.
And apart from gaming or working on games? What other hobbies do you have?
- I’m an active musician. I play bass and sing in a Czech progressive metal band Dark Gamballe. I’ve also been doing shooting sports since my junior years, mainly the so-called Olympic discipline with pistols. Most importantly, I have lots of fun with my family. My kids are practically tireless, as opposed to me. :)
Thanks for the interview.