Hello there. Could you tell us who you are and what you do at MADFINGER Games?
- I'm Jakub, and I'm a level/world (gameplay) designer.
How does one get to have a job like this? What were you doing before?
- I was working in MADFINGER as the QA. After that, thanks to luck, good relationships with my other colleagues, and unbearable passion for this design field, I was given a chance to work on an already released project (Unkilled). Thankfully, I proved myself to be useful.
How would you describe your typical day at work?
- First, I go through all the urgent tasks planned for the sprint and start working on stuff like blueprints of buildings, layouts of areas, and creating greyboxes for the playtest. That's the main content of the day. I then usually have to make some changes according to feedback, participate in meetings, or discuss the game's design in general.
And what tools do you mostly use during your work?
- Mainly Unreal Engine and Photoshop.
What would you say are the most challenging and rewarding aspects of your job?
- To look at each level/area from the point of view of a player who is there for the first time while also considering the player who has been there hundreds of times, and then figuring out how to keep the level/area still fresh and interesting.
Do you still play games? If so, what are your favorite ones, both new and old?
- I do. I mean, I have to. It's in my bloodstream. And every year, I replay the entire Bioshock series. So... yeah. I love Bioshock. But I truly enjoy Co-op games like Borderlands 2, Astroneers, or Deep Rock Galactic.
Any other hobbies or interests?
- Coop gaming, painting miniatures, having fun on my own small game projects (to learn new stuff), Role Playing, and recently I started watching anime and reading manga again. And most importantly, any self-improvement via learning (books, YouTube, anything).